We are the only place in Canada that helps you search for a lost life insurance policy.
Before we can search for a policy:
- You have to look for the policy yourself
- If you can’t find it, you must have evidence that a policy exists
- It must be less than two years and more than three months since the person’s death
- OLHI must find that it is reasonable for us to conduct a search
How to search for a policy or evidence that it exists:
- Explore possible storage places, like safety deposit boxes or filing cabinets
- Go through the deceased’s papers, checking for policies, statements or notices from an insurance company
- Review banking records for any evidence of premium payments
- Contact the deceased’s insurance agent (if known) and other advisors, like lawyers and accountants. Sometimes, policies are stored in their files
- Contact the deceased’s employer, or former employer if the deceased was retired. The Human Resources Department would have information on group life insurance for active or retired employees
- If the deceased was receiving group disability benefits, find out if there was any group life insurance included in the disability benefits
- Contact any associations to which the deceased belonged. Many offer members life insurance. For example, lawyers, accountants, construction workers, teachers, government employees or engineers belong to associations
- Check with credit card companies to see if the deceased purchased any life or travel insurance through the card
- If the deceased passed away while traveling, check whether special insurance was purchased for the trip. Sometimes, travel insurance provides a death benefit
How OLHI’s search works:
- We send a search request to all insurance companies that are OLHI members. Although 99% of all life and health insurance companies are members, any policy with a non-member will not be retrieved in our search. Also, a policy purchased outside of Canada will not be found because our member companies are Canadian only
- Insurance companies will contact you only if a policy is found. Companies can only release information to the executor, lawyer, beneficiary or heir of the deceased
- Group policies may not be found in a search. We encourage you to contact the deceased’s former employers and/or associations
Have questions? Please contact us any time.
Ready to request a policy search?
Please answer the questions and fill out the form below.